Wednesday, June 14, 2006

We all have a favorite fable. At work today I thought of the tale of the man and the satyr. So this man and a satyr are sitting on the man's fishing boat and talking. You see, I think this guy is a fisherman. The book never really tells you. Possibly he wasn't even on a fishing boat, as I read this fable long ago. In any case, all of the sudden, during a pause in the conversation, the man blows on his exposed fingers. The satyr asks "why" and the man says, "to warm them." See where I'm going? Of course not, not at this stage, but the truth will be self-evident.
Later on, they are sitting down to a meal of hearty soup in the man's house. This guy has a finely built house, although it is poorly furnished; he is only a fisherman! Okay, so they are talking again about the differences between satyrs and menfolk and (I am summarizing here) the manfolk suddenly picks up his soup and blows on it. And the satyr is like, "why do you do that?" The man replies, "to cool my soup." Immediately the satyr jumps up and grabs his coat. The man asks, "why are you doing that?" and the satyr replies,

"A man who blows both cold and warmth in the same breath can be no friend of mine!"

I forget the moral of this fable, so let's just say that is the moral:
A man who blows both coldly and warmly will not be a friend to satyrs.
However, I went beyond the moral in my train of thought. I thought about this all day at work. I like the fable so much because it shows us all how ignorant satyrs are on the subject of thermodynamics. Damn satyrs.

1 Comments:

Blogger Evan said...

I don't think Josh makes writings anymore.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home